By Ronn Torossian, Founder, 5WPR
Truth is, ‘positive thinking’ is immediately associated with the ‘self-help’ shelf in your closest Barnes & Noble, but it is much more practical than you might think. My experience in business, and in life makes me more confident on how positive thinking can get you where you want to go.
It is said on Sir David Ogilvy that during the early days of founding the legendary Ogilvy ad agency he’d go in the office and ask: “Well? Did Coca Cola call already?” He would say the same thing every morning, – until they actually did. Is it a coincidence? Perhaps! Yet owning a Public Relations agency, I can attest that positive thinking integrated into our lives can make a difference.
Here are 5 suggestions:
- The power of imagination. It is taken for granted, not fully utilized and seldom used to leverage one’s professional direction. The truth is imagination is the very first –and very far- achievement towards where you want to get. It could be picturing yourself with a new client, picturing your new office, imagining a media coverage piece on recent major achievements of yours. Anything you picture on a daily basis consistently can materialize physically.
- Act as if you already possess what you want. Sometimes we hold back on actions or emotions just because we “aren’t there yet.” A simple tip: Pretend you are there and you’ll find yourself happier, and more fulfilled with what you are currently doing.
- Communicate positively. People are often skeptic of their abilities, and great PR people (and generally business people) recognize that passion is key. It is crucial not only to be passionate about your own job, but on the brand, firm, personality you’re representing. Your positive passion on a product can radiate far, and will be genuinely reflected in your media pitches, releases and placements.
- What you give out is what comes back. You claim you can’t do something? It’s certainly harder if you don’t try. Express positive outcomes to ideas, initiatives and efforts. Don’t look for why it WOULDN’T work. It is well reflected in the methods of professional brainstorming. You do not rule out ANYTHING that is brought up. Apply it to something in your life.
- Communicate. Yes, it’s a funny tip to offer communicators and public relations practitioners but it’s easily forgotten and is being deserted. Pitching the media? Connect over the phone. Following up? Give ‘em a call! When we express ourselves verbally (and positively) we attract better results. It also leaves less space for gaps in mutual understanding, and better personal relationships.
5 basic tips for the Public Relations practitioner and beginning positive-thinkers, but if applied daily it can be life changing.
Ronn Torossian is president and CEO of 5WPR, one of the 25 largest independent PR firms in the U.S. Named one of the top “40 Under 40” by PR Week & Advertising Age, Torossian was a semi-finalist for the Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year Award. His PR Book “For Immediate Release. Shape Minds, Build Brands, and Deliver Results with Game-Changing Public Relations” is available at bookstores nationwide.